A while back, a few friends and I offered to co-host a baby shower for our dear friend Rose. I’ve known Rose since we were in middle school, and it blows my mind that we both have kids now. (Wasn’t it just yesterday that we were listening to Smashmouth and playing Girl Talk?) For her baby shower, I wanted to do something special that would serve as a memory keeper for the party. So I made her a handmade personalized baby shower book—and I think it turned out beautifully.
With a little prep and planning, plus some after the baby shower effort, I put together this baby shower book. Because I never do anything on time, I have it to Rose when her daughter was like 4 months old. But that just means I threw a baby shower that kept on giving! Right?
Make a personalized baby shower book
I love this personalized baby shower book for a whole bunch of reasons, but here are a few:
- It’s fast and easy. Planning or hosting a shower is a huge commitment, so it’s nice when your handmade details don’t take hours to complete.
- It adds a personal touch.
- Anyone can do it. You could be the least artistic person on the planet and still make a personalized baby book.
- It is a baby shower keepsake. The expectant parents can look back at the baby shower book and remember the shower, who came and the messages guests wrote in the book.
Personalized Baby Shower Book Tutorial
If you’re ready to craft a handmade baby shower book for a friend, sister or another mama-to-be, here’s everything you need to know!
- 6×6 scrapbook paper in various colors and patterns
- Washi tape
- White paper
Instructions to make a personalized baby shower book
Before the baby shower:
- Trim the white paper to fit on the scrapbook paper squares, making sure to leave a one-inch margin where the binding will go. (I used an artist’s notepad and just trimmed off the jagged edges where I tore out the pages.)
- Using strips of washi tape, secure the white paper onto he scrapbook paper squares. You’ll want about the same number of pages as you have baby shower guests.
At the baby shower
- Set up a message making station at the baby shower. Arrange pens and the scrapbook paper squares on a table.
- Invite guests to write a message for the parents to be or their baby.
- Take photos at the baby shower. Snap posed and candid photos.
After the baby shower
- Print the best photos from the baby shower.
- Using strips of washi tape, secure the photos onto scrapbook paper squares.
- Write a message to the mom, baby or parents on a scrapbook paper square.
- Arrange the squares in the order in which you want them bound. I mixed photos and guest messages together. Don’t worry if you have extra blank scrapbook paper squares—include them! (The parents might want to jot down their own memories of the day.)
- At an office supplies store, have an employee bind the book. Ask them to include a flexible piece of plastic cut to measure 6×6 inches on the back and front covers.
Now you’re done!
Have you ever made a personalized baby shower book or another handmade gift for a mom to be? I’d love to hear about it!
For another handmade baby shower project, check out my DIY pregnancy journal!