A little while back, I took up PDX Parent‘s #GetOutside Challenge: to spend at least an hour outdoors with the kids, rain or shine. I wrote about the seven days of puddle-stomping, worm-examining, trampoline-jumping here.
We’ve had a beautiful, warm, sunny week, but today the weather is back to Oregon’s usual rainy self. I learned on the #GetOutside Challenge that a little rain is no reason to stay indoors.
In fact, there are benefits to heading outside on a rainy day:
- There’s no one else at the playground/park/hiking trail!
- Kids love rain gear. Peeper gets so excited to wear her firefighter rain jacket!
- It shows kids the importance of being active, even if it’s crummy outside.
- It gets stir-crazy kids out of the house.
- It gets stir-crazy parents out of the house.
So while I am missing the sun today, the rainy forecast won’t keep me from getting outside with the kids this weekend. We’ll just pack a dry set of clothes, pull on our boots and stomp every darn puddle we can!